Saturday, November 29, 2014

Fall Food Fun!!

We went to a pumpkin patch with Glenn's wonderful family, and picked out a nice BIG pumpkin to be a little more festive than we normally are. We had big plans to carve it, and we never did, so I gave it a good washing and plopped it onto the good ol' cutting board. 

It was an awfully pretty pumpkin, inside and out. 

I filled up the dutch oven(thanks Moma G), stock pot, and both oven racks.


Then I pureed them in my food processor(thanks again!)
Running the food processor on solar energy makes me very happy!

bagged them up and put them in the freezer!
Of course I made some chickpea pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, and pumpkin pie pancakes, and sweet potato pumpkin casserole with the stuff I didn't freeze, so I'm already having too much fun!


I also made some scrumptious beet and carrot dilly sticks by natural fermentation! Yum! 
Easy as cutting up some raw veggies!

Making a salt water brine at a ratio of 1/2 Tablespoon salt to 2 Cups of water.

I added random herbs that I love plus some lavender, sage, and thyme from the garden

 Once everything was combined, I used some greens to help keep all the goodness under the brine and prevent the garlic and such from floating to the surface. This ensures that you won't have moldy nasty-ness on the top of your yum ferment. 

I could have eaten the whole jar, after it had sat out at room temperature for about 4 days. 
Glenn liked it too, but he only likes it in small amounts. 
Here it is on top of one of our girls eggs! Very yummy combo!

No comments:

Post a Comment