Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Sad day

We lost two chickens this month. One of our cinnamon queens got killed by a fox or something. I noticed she wasn't with the other girls right before dusk, but I figured she had just gone in the coop early because sometimes they do that. Then shortly after I went out to the coop to do the count and hollered at Glenn as soon as I noticed she was missing. He came outside with Mojo and we found her not far from the cabin, but it was too late.


Our silver laced wyandotte got sick and died, and I still don't know why, she was the runt of the flock (she earned the name Little Bit) but seemed to be doing really well until the morning I found her in the coop not wanting to even get up, I brought her inside and drip fed her some water and then she started to eat on her own. I figured she may have just gotten too cold with the temp going back and forth from a few warm days then back to pretty cold days, and the rain and such too. But she was dead by the next morning. I felt like I should have done more to help her, but I just assumed that she would be fine since she was inside and eating and drinking on her own. Lots of reading and research since then and if I get another sick chick, I will be probing and troubleshooting to figure out what the problem is, and I finally found a vet in the area that does care for chickens, so that is a new resource I will hopefully not have to use, but it's nice to know it's there.
They are buried together and I hope I won't be burrying any more this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment